Saturday 26 July 2008

Day 48 Liverpool to Little Falls.

Only 4 of us started out together today as Al was riding with Bill and I gather the intention was to catch up with George and Larry. Steve's hip was still giving him problems so he led out, to ensure we would go at his pace, and I rode behind giving directions. On the hills out of town we caught the 'Day Care' group and Sarge had the moose back on the bike and was serenading the good folk of Syracuse with The Beatles from his on-bike music system. We picked up Jose who then rode with us as the route flattened out and the roads were very smooth.
At 25 miles we stopped at the SAG which was next to the Erie Canal and I got into conversation with a local State Trooper called Jim who was interested to know who we were and what we were doing. When I revealed I was 'ex-job' he gave me a New York State 'Buckle up' pen from a seat belt campaign. He wanted to give me a police uniform patch, but didn't have one with him.
We were now next to the Erie Canal so took the opportunity to get some photos. The canal was completed in 1825 and links the Hudson River to The Great Lakes. The area we were now in is very wooded and there are often houses in clearings just off the road ranging from mansions to run-down shacks. There were large fields of corn, it seems every state has to have some, but not much in the way of other crops.
Photos for the Americana collection today included a USPS (postal service) van and a Mack truck grille. The last 20 miles to the hotel was easy, but on a busy road and not too pleasant. When we hit Little Falls it did not seem to be a very prosperous place. The hotel was OK and there was a great laundry opposite that most people took advantage of, including me. I later did some extra miles by visiting a large lock on the Erie Canal, which was practically next door, and generally having a look around the town.
After dinner I did some admin and decided to bring my flight home forward by a day. I don't think the extra day I had planned at the end would be of much use as I don't have transport and I also feel that I am ready to get home at the end. Neil rang from Michigan and I had a nice chat with him.
Today's distance was 82.3 miles.

No comments: