Saturday 21 June 2008

Day 18 Montrose to Gunnison.

It was a very early start today and 'Sarge' and I were up at 4.50am and straight into breakfast. There was a lot of climbing involved today, yet at Route Rap last night I found myself volunteering with Bill and Al to go on an optional ride to Black Canyon, which meant a 7 mile climb of 2000' extra, clearly failed another sanity test. As we loaded and set off the sun was turning the snow on the Rockies pink, took a photo, but don't think it will do it justice. Al, Bill and I launched ourselves into the endless stream of 'Ride the Rockies' riders and judging by the speed some of them were going up the first drag they were in for a long day.
Just short of the 7 mile mark we turned off left towards The Black Canyon and the climbing started immediately. Parts of it were about 10% with the general gradient being 6-7%, but it was a nice morning and we saw deer prancing about in the meadows.
It seemed a long climb and when we got to the top we had to pay $7 to get in, luck I had money on me! On the campgrounds notice board there was a 'Bear Warning', nobody mentioned that!!!
The Canyon lived up to its billing and was spectacular. From the lookout point we took the obligatory pictures and saw an eagle soaring from one side to the other below us, stunning.
After staying long enough to justify all the climbing we had to go and then disturbed another deer right by the road. Went back the way we came in and then rejoined the stream of cyclists that would go all the way to Gunnison with us. We were wearing our 'America' shirts to help us stand out for our support staff. There was a lot of climbing and it was made more difficult by the sheer number of 'Rockies' riders. Got to the SAG at the top of The Blue Mesa climb and I was glad of a break. A nice descent brought us to a very nice lake/reservoir which was looking pretty low. Later Al & Bill went straight past the last water SAG as they were OK, but I stopped for water and so spent the last bit wheeling gently into Gunnison. I saw the hotel in the distance and as I drew level with it there was a grinding noise from the bottom bracket area of 'The Mule' and it sounded terminal.
As soon as I got in I got out my tools and took the cranks off and at once could see that the bottom bracket was virtually seized. I wheeled the bike to a local tyre fitters and borrowed their half inch drive to take the bracket out, then borrowed Alan's shoes and bike (he has 'Look' cleats, for those who don't know what that means you'll have to ask a biker), then rode into Gunnison, found a decent bike shop and the bloke described the bracket as 'toast'. Bought a new one and rode back to replace it. By dinner The Mule was back in business and hasn't put a hoof wrong since.
Today's distance was 76.5 miles (including the 14 mile option to Black Canyon).

4 comments:

Diane said...

I can't believe you opted for even more miles and climbing today... but then again maybe I can! It sounds as though it was well worth it and the photos are absolutely stunning. I'm glad the mule got you safely into Gunnison and that it is now up and running.
Loving the blog and photos, and look forward to the next instalment. Take care.
All my love, Diane xxx

Neil said...

Well done Dad, glad to here you haven't begun passing sanity tests!! No need to change the habit of a lifetime!

Good to here the 'mule' is back at full strength, there's a few too many mile to go to push the bike over the line.

Keep those pedals whirling dad,

Love,

Neil and Anna

Gareth Poulton said...

I'm not gonna lie to you Dad ... you're flippin' nuts!

Sounds like you're having amazing adventures. Wish I was there to take some of those lush photos. Glad to hear that all is well with The Mule - sounded painful.

Like Neil says, make sure you keep digging deep into that suitcase of courage and keep drinking and eating plenty (that's Hele saying that about drinking!)

Loving checking into the blog! Keep up the good work soldier.

Lots of love

Gaz and Hele xxx

Wayne-O said...

Thanks for the comments, great to hear from the 'old world'. Make sure Dotty Evans is gone by the time I get back. I checked with the FBI and she's on their wanted list just ahead of Osama Bin Laden.
Love W-O. xxx